The program provides landowners with financial incentives to conduct pine thinnings and/or longleaf pine restoration on appropriate sites. This will create healthier forests and reduce the occurrence and impact of bark beetle outbreaks. Contact your county forester for an application.
Requirements for qualification
- Parcel must be at least five (5) acres in size.
- Pine species must be loblolly, shortleaf, longleaf, pond, Virginia, pitch or white pine.
- Trees must be no more than 15 years old and no more than 4 inches average dbh.
- Tree density must be at least 800 stems per acre.
- Post-treatment residual density must be from 300-500 stems per acre.
- Parcel must not be in public or forest industry ownership, or be managed by a Timber Investment Management Organization (TIMO) or Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)
REMINDER: This listing is a free service of VirginiaLandCAN.
Pine Bark Beetle Prevention Program is not employed by or affiliated with the Virginia Land Conservation Assistance Network, and the Network does not certify or guarantee their services. The reader must perform their own due diligence and use their own judgment in the selection of any professional.
Contact Pine Bark Beetle Prevention Program
Virginia Department of Forestry
900 Natural Resources Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Phone: (434) 977-6555